Monday, January 05, 2015

Thick-framed self-discovery

A few months back, I inadvertently started a social media firestorm by posting pictures of myself trying on various glasses.  I had gotten an at-home trial for some frames, and was seeking my friends' opinions on which ones suited me best.  The entire thing got hijacked by people with their own agendas that had nothing to do with my actual question: did any of the frames look nice on me.  As a result, I became hellbent on purchasing frames from this company (one of  the surest ways to get me to do something is to tell me I can't).  After several rounds of try-ons, I have determined that none of them actually work for me.  I really like the company, and want to support them, but I feel like I'm wearing someone else's glasses everytime I try on their frames.

I realised why this is the case: I was trying to fit myself into something that I'm not.  I have a pretty varied style, but there are just certain things are really me.  I've never liked wearing glasses, I always feel like the girl at the beginning of all the teen movies.  You know the one, quiet, geeky, unattractive, always wearing glasses.  And then she gets some magical makeover and contacts, and everyone treats her like a person.  I hardly ever wear my glasses, but there are times when I must.  These frames that I've been trying are unlike any other pair I've had, and now I know why.  I was listening to other people who said try something different, round would be good for you, bigger frames are all the rage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful to these folks.  They challenge me not to get stuck in a rut, to be open to new ideas, to try things I would never have considered before.  But in this case, I learned that I still have to be myself, even as I stretch and grow.  I cannot be someone else, I can only be me.  I can be better versions of me, but I must still retain my sense of self.  And even if my new glasses look exactly like the last 3 pairs I've had, there's some comfort in knowing (and liking) who I am.

1 comment: